History of Science
Research in history of science at the Department, including the Office for History of Science, deals mainly with the early modern and modern periods. Current research projects include those exploring aspects of eighteenth-century natural science, scientific publication in the opening decades of the nineteenth century, and the interrelations between science and politics during the twentieth century. This research entails a focus upon complex technical and theoretical questions, occasionally in a very practice-oriented sense (i.e. through the reconstruction of experiments or chemical production processes). But it also includes a consideration of political, social and cultural questions more generally. There is, in other words, no clear-cut boundary between history of science and other research at the department. The history of medicine engages with the development of biomedicine; the history of social and human sciences overlap with the history of science, the history of education and the history of science are also intimately related. These overlaps play a central role in the academic environment at the department, in research as well as teaching.
(Picture: The Svedberg with assistant, ca 1940, Uppsala, Sweden. Published by Uppsala University Library.)
Current Research in History of Science
Projects marked by "(OHS)" belong to the Office for History of Science.
- Artisans, Alchemy and Spirits in the Nordic Enlightenment (OHS)
- Brown Networks among Swedish Intellectuals during the Interwar Period and World War II
- Chinese medicines in European pharmacies: interpretations, uses and appropriation, c. 1570-1720 (OHS)
- Experimental History of Science (OHS)
- The History of Uppsala University (OHS)
- Knowledge Traditions and Scientific Change (OHS)
- Merchants of Enlightenment. Making knowledge move between England and Sweden 1700-72.
- Promoting the Contraceptive Revolution: The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in the Age of Global Overpopulation
- Publications, Priority, and Defining the Scientific Community: Berzelius and the Royal Academy of Sciences 1800–1848
- Reconstructing early modern pharmacy: Global trade networks, substances and practices (OHS and Department of History of Science and Ideas, History of Science)
- Science and the Changing Senses of Reality circa 1900 (OHS)
- Science and the Knowing Body (OHS)
- Science and Modernization in Sweden: An Institutional Approach to Historicizing the Knowledge Society
- The Scientific Conference: A Social, Cultural, and Political History
- Self-knowledge and the Emergence of Modern Objectivity